To make your transactions easier, Épargne Placements Québec uses a book‑based system to commercialize its products. This means that you do not receive a printed certificate. Registration in the system of the information concerning you confirms the ownership, in your name, of the products registered in your securities portfolio.
Épargne Placements Québec savings products are truly within everyone’s reach. Whether you’re an individual, a succession or if you represent a foundation, a trust or a business, you can open an account with Épargne Placements Québec.
In other words, this means that our savings products are available to different types of account holders:
- Individuals domiciled in Québec.
- Successions of persons who, at the time of their death, were domiciled in Québec.
- Foundations or trusts governed by the Civil Code of Québec.
- Legal persons established for a private interest or in the public interest and constituted under a Québec or Canadian law that act on their own account.
- General or limited partnerships formed in Québec.
- Legal persons acting as trustees or trustee agents on behalf of an individual participating in a self-directed retirement, retirement savings, education savings or disability savings fund or plan, or in another fund or plan of the same nature.
Opening an account
When you purchase a savings product from Épargne Placements Québec and it is registered in the book‑based system, you can open either a Investment Savings account, a tax‑free savings account (TFSA), a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP), a registered retirement income fund (RRIF), a locked‑in retirement account (LIRA) or a life income fund (LIF):
- Investment Savings account available to account holders in general.
- TFSA available only to individuals age 18 or over.
- RRSP available only to individuals (contribution made under their own name or by their spouse).
- RRIF available only to individuals (from an RRSP to whitch contributions were made under their own name or by their spouse).
- LIRA available only to individuals.
- LIF available only to individuals.
To open an account with Épargne Placements Québec, complete the appropriate form. Your signature and certain personal information are required to validate transactions.
Contact one of our investment officers who will send you the appropriate form already completed. Once you receive this form, sign it and return it to us using the return envelope provided.
If you already have a TFSA, RRSP, RRIF, LIRA or LIF with Épargne Placements Québec, you can open an Investment Savings account without having to complete an application form.